UPSC conducts IES exam every year for recruiting engineers in various government departments. Candidates preparing for UPSC IES Mains exam can get details about exam pattern, exam syllabus and important instructions needed to appear in IES Mains exam. You can also download UPSC IES Mains Exam Previous Year Papers from the link shared in the blog.
UPSC IES Mains Exam Previous Year Papers
Union Public Service Commission conducts recruitment exam for Engineering Service Exam at all India level This exam is commonly known as IES exam. Through this exams, students who have completed their graduation in technical field i.e. engineering field get a chance to work with the Indian government. After clearing IES exam candidates will get a chance to work in government departments like PWD, Railroads, Power, Telecommunication etc. Initially, candidates get recruited as assistant engineers and gradually they move up in the ladder. Can get a chance to become Chairman/ Assistant managing director in future. Perks offered by the position is quite high, therefore, It is one of the toughest government exams to crack. The candidate prepares for years to clear the exam. A lot of focus and hard work is required while preparing for the exam. There are 588 vacancies announced by UPSC in 2018. Engineering branches included in IES Exam are:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
IES 2018 Eligibility Criteria
It is important that candidates go through the eligibility criteria before filling application forms. If a candidate does not meet eligibility criteria then there is a possibility that their form gets rejected by UPSC. To check details about eligibility criteria of IES exam click on the link shared below:
UPSC IES Mains Exam Pattern
|Numbers of question papers||2|
|Duration of exam||3 hours for each paper.|
|The language of the question paper||English only.|
|Subjects||Marks||Duration of exam|
|Paper-1– – The subject selected by the candidate from any one of the Branch-Civil Engineering/ Electrical Engineering/Electronics and Tele-Communication/ Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.||300||3 hours|
|Paper-2 –The second paper of the subject selected by the candidate from any one of the given branches – Civil Engineering/Electrical Engineering/Electronics and Tele-Communication Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.||300||3 hours|
- There are 2 Papers in IES Mains exam
- Both tests are conducted offline i.e. using pen and paper
- Questions in both papers are from a chosen engineering discipline (Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ Electronics & Telecommunication)
- Both papers are a conventional type of papers
- Candidates who clear mains exam will receive a call for the 3rd stage i.e. Interview
- Call for an interview is sent for candidates who scored high in both prelims and mains papers.
- Interview carries 200 marks.
- The final merit list is prepared after combining scores of all three stages i.e. preliminary, mains and interview.
UPSC IES Mains Exam Syllabus
Questions in Paper I and Paper II of UPSC IES Mains exam will come from the engineering discipline chosen by the candidate. To refer to the detail syllabus for IES mains exam please click on the links below:
Important Instructions for IES Mains Exam
There are few important points issued by UPSC that candidates have to keep in mind while writing IES Mains Exam. They are as follows:
- Questions in the exam must be attempted as per directions specified in questions papers.
- Instructions printed on questions paper and answer sheet must be read carefully before starting the exam.
- Answers in the OMR sheet must be filled using a BLACK PEN only.
- Multiple applications must not be submitted
- E-mail Id given to the commission must be a working e-mail as only electronic mode used for communication
- No electronic gadgets are allowed inside the examination hall
- only non-programable/ basic calculator and engineering drawing instruments are allowed in the exam
- There is negative marking in IES Mains exam
- Candidates cannot leave examination hall before prescribed time
Preparation Tips for UPSC IES Mains Exam
- UPSC IES exam is one of the reputed as well as toughest exam conducted in India
- Candidate must start their preparation at least 6 months before the prelims exam
- Manage your time efficiently so that you can study each and every topic in the syllabus
- Practice on UPSC IES Mains Exam Previous Year Papers to increase your speed
- Solving UPSC IES Mains Exam Previous Year Papers will give you an idea about exam pattern, difficulty level and your weak areas
- Regular practising will increase your speed as well as accuracy level
- Have enough sleep and eat healthy food to keep yourself physically and mentally fit
- Hard work, focus and dedication are key to crack IES exam.
UPSC IES Mains Exam Previous Year Papers